Your garage may not look like much now. But do you know how to organize your garage into your dream room?
Maybe your garage is haphazardly filled with boxes of your children’s old toys, the workout equipment you swore you’d use every day, or an odd assortment of buy-‘em-as-you-need-‘em lawn and landscaping tools.
Don’t let the shabby look of your garage fool you. The organization wizards at The Maids are here to show you that with some good old fashioned organizing, and perhaps some donations to a thrift store, you can open up an entirely new room in your home and turn it into…well, basically anything you want.
If you are like many of your neighbors, your garage has become a catchall storage space. Whenever you don’t want something in the house, it invariably finds its way into the garage. When you’re not looking, it’s the little things that add up.
If you want to use your garage to its fullest potential, it’s time to actually deal with all that junk.
If you have important keepsakes or items that you use on an annual basis, (like holiday decorations), consider transferring them to your attic if you have one. You can also free up lots of space with proper garage storage to help get things off the floor. Bikes and sports equipment can go on hooks.
Look at what’s left. If you haven’t touched it in a year, it’s time to sell, give away, or put it inside the house where you’ll be reminded to use it.
Now that the garage is clean, your imagination is the limit.
Have you ever wished you had more rooms in your home? Now you do. Get creative with your new space. Here are some great ideas for what to do with your newly cleaned garage.
- Home Gym: It’s time to get in shape, but who wants to drive to the gym at dawn or after a long day of work? Turn your garage into a home gym with some cardio equipment, free weights, and mats, and you can be sweating it up like a true athlete. Consider installing some speakers or even a TV so you can use your favorite workout video.
- Entertainment Cave: Everyone wants one, especially when football season comes around. Trick out your garage with comfy loungers, a huge flat screen, and surround sound and then invite friends over. If you want to go the extra mile, put in a bar and a pool table.
- Home Office: Do you have a side job, work from home on a regular basis, or simply want a quiet place to put some serious effort into that novel you’re writing? Turn your garage into a cozy home office where you can gain some sweet privacy.
- Guest Bedroom: A guest bedroom is always a convenient thing to have. Now your family members and out-of-town friends have no excuse not to visit. A bed, a nightstand, and some plush rugs can turn a blank space into an inviting home away from home.
- Crafts Room: Your creative soul is near to bursting and so is your bedroom or office. The garage offers plenty of space for you to paint, sew, make pottery, scrapbook, or whatever avenue your personal art takes.
These are just a few ideas of what you can do with your squeaky clean garage. Really, the sky is the limit.
It may be hard to imagine now, but your dream room is somewhere beneath all those boxes. Just roll up your sleeves and go dig it out!