You know you’re really adulting when you’re searching the internet for the best way to clean wood cabinets. Somehow life snuck up on you, and you’re suddenly spending weekends doing home projects and cleaning overhauls. And though a night out at the club may have once been appealing, you have to admit: there’s something about surveying a kitchen of gleaming wood cabinets that really does make your heart sing.
So what’s the easiest way to clean wood cabinets until they really shine? Check out our tips below to get the full scoop.
Everyday Cleaning + Deep Cleaning
Keep your wood cabinets in prime condition by having both an everyday cleaning and deep-cleaning technique up your sleeve. Cabinets will stay in good shape if you give them a regular wipe down, then take time for a deeper clean every week or two.
Here’s how to clean wood kitchen cabinets or other cabinets in your house on a daily basis:
- Choose your cleaning product. (See ideas in the section below.)
- Spray cleaning product on a gentle rag and wipe cabinet surfaces.
- Dry cabinets with a clean cloth. (Moisture can warp the wood.)
- Don’t forget to regularly clean inside drawers and dust surfaces.
Here’s how to conduct a deeper clean of your wood cabinets:
- Use an oil soap wood cleaner for getting rid of grease and stubborn spots.
- Test the cleaner in a small area to make sure it won’t change the appearance of your cabinets.
- Use a soft cloth to rub the soap around in a circular motion on the cabinets.
- Apply baking soda to areas with stubborn spots and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Use a rubber spatula or other gentle tool to scrape off grimy spots.
- Remove baking soda and wipe surfaces dry with a fresh towel.
- Finish with a wood wax or polish.
What Cleaning Products Can Be Used on Wood Cabinets?
First things first: what products should you use to scrub and scour your wood cabinets? Some products can be harsh on wood surfaces, while others can be toxic for you and your family, so you’ll want to be careful about which cleaning solutions you choose. Here are a few great options:
Vinegar is a natural cleaner you can use just about anywhere, for any purpose. It’s cheap, effective, and non-toxic, so it’s hard not to love. Mix vinegar with equal parts water, or add a few drops of liquid dish soap to cut down on grease. Don’t love the strong scent of vinegar? You can also add a few drops of any essential oil to naturally enhance the smell.
Vinegar + Salt Scrub
When vinegar alone isn’t tough enough, it’s time to bring out the big guns. Combine a little vinegar with salt to make a natural scrub that will tackle the toughest grease and grime.
Baking soda is another all-natural, powerhouse cleaning agent. Pour baking soda over stained areas of the cabinets and pour a little water or vinegar over the top. Let it soak, then gently scrub with a soft sponge.
How to Keep the Shine on Wood Cabinets
Once you’ve gone to all the hard work of cleaning your wood cabinets, you want them to stay that way as long as possible. Keep the shine by using a polish like orange oil to preserve the beauty of the wood. Simply spray on the oil, let it soak in, and then wipe clean with a microfiber towel.
How to Prevent Scratches on Wood Cabinets
Got kids or pets who seem determined to leave their mark everywhere they go? Luckily, there are still a few things you can do to prevent scratches on wood cabinets, such as:
- Only use cleaning products intended for wood—no bleach or ammonia.
- Use soft cloths and sponges to clean—no steel wool or other abrasive pads.
- Dust or vacuum surfaces regularly to avoid buildup.
- Always wipe with the grain, not against it.
Armed with these tips, you’ll know how to clean wood cabinets and keep them shining for weeks. It may take some elbow grease, but you’ll perk up every time you enter the room and see the clean cabinetry. Happy cleaning!